Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Psalm 3, pt. 2



I lay down and slept;
I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
who have set themselves against me all around.

Nighttime can often be the time when sinful thoughts are most prevalent.  Sin starts with the heart, and as the day closes, my heart and mind are freest to roam wherever they want.  What should be a peaceful nights sleep (8 or so hours to not worry about sin) often becomes a tiring battle against dishonoring my Savior. 

But there can be relief from this.  God's power truly is such that I can "lay down and sleep"...and wake up again and feel refreshed.  I don't need to be worried.  My God is with me every moment.  Even (and especially) at the times when sinful thoughts threaten to take me over, I have with me my shield, my glory, and the lifter of my head.

So what needs to happen for me to rest easy?  I need to pray the way that David did.

Arise, O LORD!
Save me, O my God!
For You strike all my enemies on the cheek;
You break the teeth of the wicked.

I know I need God.  But how I long to live like I know this.  Every night, my prayer ought to be the same as David's when he was under great pressure from the world around him.  "Save me, O my God!"  We need to be saved--and not just once so we're all set for a happy life until we get to heaven.  Every morning when I wake up to my sinful self, I need to be saved.  Every afternoon, when my meditation on the morning's scripture starts to wear off, I need to be saved.  Every night, as my mind starts to wander towards wrong thoughts and feelings, I need to be saved.

My enemies are no match for the saving power of my Lord.  Sin is like a hideous beast just waiting to devour me.  It seems impossible to overcome.  But God can break the monster's teeth.

Salvation belongs to the LORD;
Your blessing be on Your people!


Psalm 3: 5-8

1 comment:

  1. "Sin is like a hideous beast just waiting to devour me. It seems impossible to overcome. But God can break the monster's teeth."

    ~Pray this for me.

    ReplyDelete