Monday, September 6, 2010

Top 5: Evidences of Grace, Guy and Faythe

1. Love for Others
Guy and Faythe Ladd are the parents of a close friend of mine.  But every time I am around them, I feel as though they are my friends too.  I'm not alone in this.  There are quite few people in the world (in Racine and elsewhere) whose lives have been touched by Guy and Faythe's love for others.  You feel genuinely loved by them; not like when you're around people who are only tolerating your company or who act like they'd rather be doing something other than entertaining you.  And their love for others is not just about serving them and meeting their physical needs.  It's a Christlike love that cares for the spiritual well-being of others above all.
2.  Wisdom 
Mr. and Mrs. Ladd have a lot of wisdom to show for the years they have been walking with the Lord.  Recently I saw this as I was sitting at the dining room table with them for a meal.  Mr. Ladd will often bring up a topic of edifying discussion for everyone to talk about.  This time he asked us our thoughts on just how holy and Christlike a human could become, based on some passages of scripture he had been studying.  He often leads his family (and guests) in a conversation like this that is thought-provoking, edifying, and usually very convicting.  This is a fantastic way to apply what he is learning personally, and cause others to think about the Lord too.  I am thankful for how God has given him wisdom, and spread that to others through him.
3.  Servants' Hearts
This one should go without saying to anyone who has ever known a Ladd.  They are serving machines.  From stocking up someone's fridge with groceries the day they come in from out of town, to teaching Sunday school or VBS at church, to giving someone a place to stay and food to eat without asking anything in return, the Ladds show over and over again that, like Jesus, they would rather serve than be served.
4.  Hospitality
Hospitality is mentioned and commanded numerous times throughout the New Testament--but it is a character trait that many people either don't have or just don't understand.  If you are wondering how to be hospitable, let me suggest that you learn from Faythe Ladd.  Even if you aren't as good a cook as she is (I'd be impressed if you were), you can still learn from the ways she cares for every person who visits her home.  She makes people feel welcome.  Hospitality, as I see it in Faythe, is all about giving.  I want to imitate her in this, especially if God ever lets me become a wife and mom.
5. Example
The Ladds have been faithfully following God for a lot of years now.  As with Ace and Linda, I see them as great examples for younger people of what we should strive to become.  They have demonstrated godly parenting and continuous service of the Lord over the years.  And the fruit of their efforts is plainly visible in the lives of their kids and everyone else they've reached out to.  It is encouraging to me to see the end result of years of obeying God.  Knowing the Ladds makes me want to follow harder after Him, so that a few years from now, I can be where they are.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this Carly. My parents are awesome examples of God's grace at work. I am so thankful that God has blessed me with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Carley even after a couple of days to think about this my first response is still the strongest, "Wow." You brought tears to our eyes, tears of joy and gratitude to God for the good work He is doing in our home by His grace. To God be the glory great things He has done!
    This blog speaks volumes about the writer.
    • She must have vision to see God at work around her.
    • She must have clear thinking to communicate God’s truth to others.
    • She must have a heart that loves God and loves others.
    • She must be willing to invest of herself unselfishly to the encouragement of others.
    • She must have great parents and grandparents.
    • She must be a wonderful Christian young person that I’m glad is my daughter's best friend.
    And she has been and is even more now a candidate for a “hostile adoption”!! Carley welcome to the Ladd family….just kidding of course.
    Guy and Faythe

    ReplyDelete