Monday, September 13, 2010

Opposites are Attractive...To My Sin Nature

The heart is deceitful above all things.  The devil is the father of lies.  And the world is a twisted and corrupt generation.  So it makes sense that the temptation I get from my heart, the devil, and the world will not line up with the truth.

What surprises me sometimes is how little sense the temptation actually makes.  What I mean is, there have been plenty of times where I have literally had the opposite temptation on two consecutive days.  For example, I may be battling pride and self-sufficiency on Monday.  Then on Tuesday, I may face crushing despair and thoughts that I'll never be good enough.  On Wednesday, I might be making a golden calf out of the relationships in my life--only to struggle with feelings of impatience and bitterness towards those same people on Thursday.  I know temptation lies.  But sometimes I wonder how my heart can be dumb enough to believe something so far fetched!  The lust of my flesh, the lust of my eyes, and the pride that taints my life is all based on the stuff of fiction.

The only solution for someone who is enslaved by their own deceptive (and confusing) desires is real truth.  And real truth is also known by the name of Jesus Christ.  In John 1, we hear how He is the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.  In John 4 He tells us that the only way to really worship the Father is in spirit and truth.

Who knows what bizarre lies my sin nature might throw at me next?  I better be in fellowship with Truth when they come.

The main idea of this post came from a conversation with one of the godliest people I know.  You know who you are.  Thanks :].

1 comment:

  1. John 1 also says..."and from His fullness we have received grace upon grace." Grace to do what is right. Grace to turn from the sin which leaves us empty. Grace look to the only One who will ever truly satisfy our ever wandring hearts. Thanks for posting Carly, this was super good. Got me thinking:]

    ReplyDelete