Saturday, September 4, 2010

Another Option

Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

The theme verse of my blog is Phil. 2:5, as you can see from the top right side of this page.  But choosing a theme verse was not an easy task.  The Philippians verse was actually the third or fourth verse (of my favorite verses) that I referenced in search of a good title.  Though it is one of my favorite verses, I wasn't originally planning on using it here.

My first pick was the above verse from Romans 15.  Besides being the life verse of a good friend of mine, and a perfect reference to put by your name when you sign letters (I don't mind if you steal that from me), this verse seems to state what I want my life to be all about.

My God is the God of hope.  More than I hope in hanging out with my friends tonight, or seeing the next episode of my favorite show, or taking the first bite of a burrito or butterburger made just how I like it--I hope in my God.  And it's a different kind of hope.  No earthly blessing that I hope in is guaranteed to me.  They all fade over time and vary in the amount of happiness they provide.  But my God is always the same.  He's always in Heaven, securing my eternal home.  And He's always right here with me, every day, providing peace and security in life's trials.  What I want right now, more than almost anything else, is to be a person who, by the power of Holy Spirit, abounds in hope.

This verse states what my desire is for me and for you:  that our God, The God of Hope, will fill us up to the brim with the joy and peace of believing in Him day by day.  I want us to be people of hope, just as our God is the God of hope.  Now if only I was smart enough to think of a good blog title from this verse...

1 comment:

  1. "But my God is always the same. He's always in Heaven, securing my eternal home. And He's always right here with me, every day, providing peace and security in life's trials."

    Yes!

    ReplyDelete