Monday, September 27, 2010

That Kind of Love

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.  The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know Him.
--1 John 3:1

People in the world are not used to being loved unconditionally.  Forgiveness doesn't come cheap.  And when a relationship is hurt there is no telling how long it will take for it to bounce back--if it ever does.  Contrast this with the God who sent His own Son to die for us while we were yet sinners.  That's what unconditional love is--we were in no state to earn it when we first received it, and still aren't.

The world doesn't know our Father, so it can't possibly comprehend our love.  Loving believers will certainly appear amazing to the unsaved if they ever really get to see them in action.  One of my favorite things to do is to tell people who don't know Christ about my friends who do.  The Christlike love that is on display at my church is unlike anything the world has to offer.  And I want to wear that love on my shirtsleeve.  So what if somebody makes fun of me because I believe in my Father who loves me?  I'm going to turn around and love them back.

The trials of being  mocked, rejected and hated are fading fast.  After the last person has rolled their eyes at me or called me naive I'm going where my Father is.  And I'm never coming back.  I get to enjoy the kind of love that made me His child--and I'll enjoy it forever!  Until I do, I want to broadcast that love to a watching world.

1 comment: