Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Greatest Honor

Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.  If anyone serves me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there will my servant be also.  If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor Him.
--John 12:25-26

Following Christ is harder than it sounds.  Following--it's not just like follow the leader in a neat little line for a short little time.

Where Jesus was, you will be.  Among the needy, the demanding.  Jesus went where suffering was worst.  The suffering was often His own.

Following Jesus, these verses tell us, is equivalent to "hating your life."  It takes pain, suffering, and denial of your very self!  Death might even be literal

Yet this great price also leads to a great reward--"If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor Him."

Can you just imagine what that could mean?  Jesus telling you: "My Father will honor you."  Imagine a big honor that you have--or could--receive in your life.  Maybe someone you really like paid you a great compliment.  Maybe you found out you graduated with a 4.0 or made the top something for being smart.

God's honor--what's that all about?

Psalm 91:14-16 tells us:
Because He holds fast to Me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows My Name.
When he calls to Me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him
and show him My salvation.

Know God,
Follow God,
Hold fast to God in love.

When you call, He will answer.
When you are in trouble, He will be with you.
The "honor" that He gives is more than just "props to you."  It's rescue.  It's satisfaction in the life He
gives.  It's salvation.

He who hates his life will find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment