Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Top 40: Reasons I Am Thankful for My Dad

1.  Most of my best childhood memories come from you--memories like wrestling, special breakfast noodles, and hiking in Spokane, and you reading to me.
2.  You sometimes (try to) pick out my clothes.
3.  You introduced me to the Bible before I was even old enough to understand it.
4.  Going through books with you has strengthened my faith and spiritual knowledge.
5.  You prayed for me every night. 
6.  You introduced me to some of my favorite songs.  Number one is a toss up between "Split Screen Sadness" and "I Don't Want to Be."
7.  You taught me to never go on a second date with a guy who doesn't get the door.
8.  I still don't like the Westerns (or "The Straight Story"), but I'll admit you've picked some winner movies in your day.
9.  You taught me not to worry.
10.  You run with me.
11.  I feel comfortable talking with you about just about anything.
12.  It isn't exaggerating to say you get my humor better than anyone else.
13.  I laugh harder at you than at almost anyone else.
14.  I learned to love reading from you, and I love it to this day.
15.  You taught me how to teach.
16.  Your preaching continues to convict me and inspire me to Christ-centered living, Sunday after Sunday.
17.  Your preaching has profoundly impacted the lives of people I deeply care about.
18.  Your high view of God's word inspired me to hold it in esteem--and to base my life on it.
19.  You are really, really smart.
20.  You hate sin.
21.  You are humble.  You brag about Jesus, not your talent.  And you don't take all the credit you could for the reaches of your ministry.
22.  Your discipline has saved me from dangerous paths I might still be on otherwise.
23.  You have helped me to be firm in my convictions--and to have the right ones.
24.  You've always had high expectations for me.  Especially in these teenage years, you've treated me like an adult, even thought I act so immature sometimes.
25.  You make it a priority to study the Bible as a family multiple times a week.  You are washing us in the water of the Word.
26.  You said you're proud of me.
27.  Your love for the lost moves me to care about them more.
28.  You taught me how to say "no" to things, in order to focus on what's truly important.
29.  You've instilled in me a respect for the classics.
30.  You've given me a passion for ministry.
31.  You would rather suffer yourself than see me be hurt.
32.  You will never sit by silently if I choose to wreck my life.
33.  I know that any guy who really likes me will need to go through you.  Makes me wonder if there's any guy brave enough, but I'm thankful for it nonetheless.
34.  You say "yes" to things that aren't your favorite, for the sake of letting me enjoy life.  You are selfless towards your family.
35.  You are wise, and you have made wisdom look desirable to me from a very young age.
36.  You are a hard worker, and have taught me to respect diligence and abhor laziness.
37.  You encourage me to branch out and do things I might not choose on my own.
38.  I don't need to wonder what a godly man should look like.  I have the biblical model with me every day.
39.  God's glory is more important to you than anything else.
40.  Jesus is your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment