Friday, November 26, 2010

12 Things I'm Thankful For: Thanksgiving Week 2010

3 People

3.  Rebecca Jeanson.  I really like Rebecca's no-nonsense attitude.  She is fun to be around, but she also doesn't waste a lot of time or words on foolish things.  She has an appetite for God's word, so conversation with her is almost always edifying.

2.  Megan Williams.  It's always fun talking with Megan, but it took a while for me to realize why.  Megan is really selfless in conversation.  She will ask you a ton of questions about yourself, and genuinely care about what you say.  Among other things, I'm thankful for Megan's selfless attitude.

3.  Rylie DeBurgh.  My youngest brother Rylie and I went on a date this week.  Lately, I've been enjoying his company more and more.  Living in the same house with him, I don't always appreciate him as much as I should.  He is growing in love for the Lord and for others, and in patience with me.  I am thankful to God for this sweet younger brother.

3 Things

3.  Mrs. Ladd's stuffing.  I have always been a fan of stuffing.  It might be my favorite thanksgiving dish.  But Mrs. Ladd's stuffing (via Guy's mom's accidental secret recipe) takes it to another level.  The other people at the table were probably wondering why I would take a bite and then just close my eyes and smile.  Killer stuffing.

2.  Left Behind Series.  This Christian fiction series by Jerry Jenkins and Tim Lahaye is really something else.  It's loaded with cheesy dialogue and 90s technology.  But somehow, I've come to actually look forward to the few minutes I spend reading this series before bed every night.

1.  "While You Were Sleeping," the movie.  The first time I saw this movie, it instantly became a favorite.  I still love watching it every year (usually multiple times a year).  Especially as Christmas draws near, this movie is an absolutely must see at my house.  Probably because I watch this movie so often, it gives me good feelings every time, and I always laugh all the way through.  Especially memorable, for me, are the Joe Jr. quotes: "Who told?!"  "I know that trick!" and even "Nice....(tongue click).....sweatah!"

3 Events

3.  Basilisk War.  In the Ladds' TV room, an epic battle was fought between Sam, Rylie, Christian, and myself.  The only weapon was the basilisk--a snake you make with your hand that makes anyone who looks at it go blind.  Under normal circumstances, the goal is just to get someone to accidentally look at your basilisk.  This particular battle, however, culminated in Christian's basilisk chomping down on Rylie's upper thigh.  Over the laughter that ensued, Christian could be heard saying, "Got you there!"

2.  Scattergories Game.  Katelyn and I joined together to form the dream team in a game of Scattergories at the Ladd's house.  She was "The Brains" and I was "The Brawn"--and together, we were unstoppable (enough to win third place).  It's a fun game, and it was fun to spend time with the DeBurgh and Ladd families together.

1.  Thankgiving Day Prep.  On Wednesday, I went to Racine's Festival Hall to help "set up" for a huge, free Thanksgiving meal that would take place the next day.  As it turned out, they had an excess of volunteers and didn't really need us after all.  Still, we had fun sweeping out two little rooms and eating free sandwiches.  On the way out, we overheard the woman in charge telling a newcomer: "If you see something that needs to be done, jump in.  If not, just enjoy yourself."  I didn't work too hard, but I sure did enjoy myself.  Hard not to in a place as exciting as the Festival Hall!

3 Verses

3.  John 12:25  Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.  This may seem like a funny verse to be thankful for--who wants to hate their life?--but I am thankful for how God is working it out in me.  Things that used to be too important are, little by little, losing their grip on my affections by His power.  Eternal life is becoming more precious to me.

2.  John 13:15  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.  I am thankful that I have a Savior who lived the life of a servant, so that I can copy Him.  If only I were better at this!  I am one selfish girl--and if you don't believe me, it's because you don't know me.  But that just brings me to the other thing I am thankful for: Jesus grace!  He never "gives up" on me, despite my stubborn heart.

1.  John 13:35  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.  I am thankful for the love I have been shown.  It is the mark of my salvation, and God is helping me to have real love in my heart for other people, too.  I am amazed that He can actually live in me to the extent that other people know that I am His.

1 comment: