Monday, March 28, 2011

Obedience: Round Two

Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus.  Jesus said to them, "Children, do you have any fish?"  They answered him, "No."  He said to them, "Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some."  So thy cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, because of the quantity of fish.  That disciple whom Jesus loved therefore said to Peter, "It is the Lord!"  When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment, for he was stripped for work, and threw himself into the sea.
--John 21:4-8


I want to be like the Peter that is depicted here.  I already am like the Peter shown just a couple of chapters earlier--the Peter who denied Jesus.  I may not have used words to say, "I don't know Him," but I have denied that He is everything to me every time that I have sinned against him.  How quick I am to say that Jesus is my life.  And how dreadfully quick I am afterwards to act as though He is nothing to me.

How great is our Savior's forgiveness.  For we are not destroyed when we sin against him.  Instead, we are given another day, another chance to throw ourselves into the sea after Him.  Another opportunity to sacrifice.  Another situation where we can obey in a big way.

When you feel the pangs of failure, don't give up hope of future success.  Our God is faithful to let us do things for him, even great things, regardless of our past shortcomings.  The man who forsook Jesus when He was at death's door would later be the man to give his own life for the sake of his Savior.

Keep your eyes open for the second chance.

3 comments:

  1. So encouraging, Carly! Thanks for posting.
    ILY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Carly! Very encouraging! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great that God always gives that second chance for us to obey Him, and on top of that He gives us the grace to do what is right!

    ReplyDelete