Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Boast in Who You Know

Through the sermon this Sunday, I was drawn back to some of my favorite verses, Jeremiah 9:23-24:  "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me."
Wisdom: knowledge of the Bible, ability to give good advice, having the right answers
Might: being known as spiritually strong, being a leader among your friends
Riches: possessing gifts you didn't earn, but have been blessed with--gifts like money, friends, popularity, family, influence, etc

Before I was saved, confidence in these "spiritual" things hindered me from accepting the gospel.  And now that I am saved, I continue to struggle with turning God's gifts into an excuse for arrogance.

Join me in going over this truth in your heart--I am not wise.  I am not mighty.  I am not rich.

God is omniscient.  God is omnipotent.  God is the giver of all good things.  Beyond this, He practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth.  For in these things He delights.  And God wants us to know Him, and to be proud of knowing Him.  Let that be your boast today...anything else is just stupid.

To know and love the one who is wise, mighty and rich beats out any counterfeit of  wisdom might and riches that we could ever dream up.

No comments:

Post a Comment