Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Bearing Fruit

--It's not possible unless I am abiding in Christ.

The problem for me is, I am apathetic about abiding in Christ.  I get close to Him for a short time, and really exciting growth happens all over my life.  Then somebody nice tells me that I'm godly, I'm doing great, and I think I have it made.

But all that good stuff in me isn't me. 

"As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me."

Anything worthy in me comes from Christ.  The second I start to give myself credit for what He has done is the second that I decide I don't need to abide in Him.  In that second, it becomes impossible for me to bear fruit.

All I'm left with is that detestable, but stubbornly lingering pride that says "I'm godly," but has no proof to back it up.  The problem is, I can go days or weeks without realizing that--get ready for this, Car--I'm not all that great.

I praise God that He has given me people to (graciously) remind me of that horrible, wonderful, liberating fact.

How I need Jesus.  I need Him when I feel that I need Him.  And oh, how I need Him when I feel okay. 

If you feel okay, you shouldn't.  You should be afraid, very afraid of your own pride.  Because without Him, we are nothing.

"Whoever abides in me and I in Him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

John 15:4, 5

1 comment:

  1. "If you feel okay, you shouldn't. You should be afraid, very afraid of your own pride. Because without Him, we are nothing."

    Convicting, thank you, Car.

    ReplyDelete