Friday, June 3, 2011

I Don't Deserve This.

According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.  In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.  Though you have not seen Him, you love Him.  Though you do not now see Him, you believe in Him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
1 Peter 1:3-9


Just really think about these verses for a minute.  I know it is kind of a big chunk of scripture, but if you take the time to think through it, I think you will see with the same thing I was hit with yesterday.

I don't deserve this.

Not the various trials that grieve me for a while.  Not the death, sickness, confusion, pain, and hurt that I cross paths with from time to time.

I don't deserve an eternal inheritance so wonderful that my first second of it will outweigh anything bad I've ever experienced.  I don't deserve the opportunity to bring glory to my Savior Jesus Christ, who has given me everything and to whom I can offer practically nothing.  I don't deserve inexpressible joy.  And I most definitely don't deserve salvation.

We don't deserve this.  But, praise God, it's all ours in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment